Romani ǀ Romani
Gypsies or Romani or Roma people are found in various countries, especially Central and Eastern Europe, including Hungary and neighboring Slovakia (formerly Czechoslovakia). They are a far-flung, distinctive population with a lot of diversity and general lack of unity despite the application of universalized terms to them.
There are five data sets that have been incorporated into DNA Consultants’ method.
1) Hungarian – Romani – Baranya – Debrecen Regions represents 539 unrelated Hungarian Caucasian and Romani individuals living in Budapest, Central Hungary, Baranya county, and the Debrecen region who were sampled in 2005 by the University of Debrecen, Hungary.
2) Romani – Northwestern Croatia represents 100 unrelated Romani individuals from Northwestern Croatia who were sampled in 2006 by the Institute for Anthropological Research in Zagreb, Croatia.
3) Macedonian Romani (Gypsy) represents 102 Macedonian Romani from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia who were sampled in 2006 by the University of Skopje. Macedonia is believed to be one of the first landing spots in Europe where the Romani people settled as they migrated across Turkey from India in the eleventh century and later.
4) Romani – Presov, Slovak Republic represents a sample of 278 healthy unrelated Eastern Slovakia Romanies from the town of Presov who were sampled by Presov University in Presov, Slovakia.
5) The Romani population data represent DNA samples from 100 randomly selected Macedonian and 102 Macedonian Romani individuals from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia who were samples by the Institute of Anthropological Research, Zagreb, Croatia.
Source Publication: Analysis of the population heterogeneity in Hungary using fifteen forensically informative STR marker, FSI, 2006, p244-249. Genetic polymorphisms of 15 AmpFlSTR identifiler loci in Romani population from Northwestern Croatia, FSI, 2007. Population genetics of 15 AmpflSTR Identifiler loci in Macedonians and Macedonian Romani (Gypsy), FSI, 2007, p220-224. Genetic variation analysis of 15 autosomal STR loci in Eastern Slovak Caucasian and Romany (Gypsy) population, FSI, 2008, e21 -e25. Population genetics of 15 AmpflSTR Identifiler loci in Macedonians and Macedonian Romani (Gypsy). FSI, 2007, 173, p220-224.
[Population 300, 333, 343, 381, 458]